Monday 5 March 2012

Evaluation of Title Sequence - New & Updated!

In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?


With my film genre being thriller, I have used all codes and conventions that are present within my title sequence titled ‘Enigma’.


Codes and conventions are the ingredients which are needed to produce a title sequence. It are these in which create meaning for the audience and help in determining how audiences will respond and interact with different forms of media.


The codes and conventions for a thriller title sequence would be: fast paced editing, quick cuts, monotone colours i.e black and white, and non-digetic sound. I feel that my media product has developed the typical codes and conventions of real media products as illustrated below.


I have managed to use the code and convention of quick cuts in which has been incorporated very well in my opinion. In my title sequence, this can be seen in various places such as where quick cuts were produced between the walking phases in the forest at the beginning of the title sequence whereby a variety of cuts allowed images of church related connotations to feature. Despite this code and convention being used, I feel that it is this which will allow the audience to interact with what they see.


Another code and convention that I have managed to use is that of monotone colours. Grey, black and white was used throughout my title sequence to produce the ‘eerie’ effect often created in thriller films and title sequences. I managed to use this code and convention by displaying these three colours very frequently at different points in order to construct a mood in which the audience can emphasize with.


The last code and convention that I managed to use was that of sound. The sound used in my title sequence consisted of foley, digetic and non-digetic. Thriller films and title sequences use these types of sounds very regularly to produce different moods and atmospheres. The sounds I have used does exactly the same. For example, foley sound was used to create the sound of leaves. Instead of the natural ‘crunch’ sound that leaves make, I used my initiative by using paper instead. As for non-digetic sound, this was incorporated via editing by importing sound away from the original source, and placing it alongside the source to create the desired mood.


It’s these codes and conventions that my media product has inherited which is in support of my media product using the codes and conventions of thriller title sequences. It's these which all help establish the genre of my title sequence in which creates a disturbed and uncomfortable feeling which in affect will create tension and suspension amongst those watching my title sequence.


How does your media product represent particular social groups?


My media product represents particular social groups from microelements that have been made present.


The whole religious theme in my product represents those from a culture whereby everything they do is based around pure religion. The features and use of religious symbols, buildings and materials helps in that it indicates the importance of religion in the lives of many who live in the world today. Due to this, those of the audience who are largely religious would be able to relate with the film in a way that allows them to see and understand concepts that not many would be able to understand. This in effect was created by mise-en-scene.


My media product represents individuals willing in turning their lives around due to previous encounters. This is demonstrated via camera shots, sound and props such as locations. Non-digetic sound was used to illustrate the asking of forgiveness which from a Christian’s perspective is the basis for recognizing the mistakes exhibited in the past and the understanding and will in living a new and clean life. Camaera shots of the interior of a church allowed my media product to also represent the same social group in that there are many individuals who believe that churches are the basis in living life in the correct way and manner.


My media product represents black men in two different ways. In the world today, black men i feel are stereotyped in two different ways; as the holy man who goes to church on a daily basis, or as the self-destructive man who does everything illegal and against law. The black individual in my title sequence represents black men in both ways as seen clearly. My title sequence first goes along with the 1st stereotype of black men being self-destructive in the things that they do which are illegal. From the behaviour that the black character has assumingly committed worked out via the association of a 'missing poster' near the set location of woods local to the black man as revealed in the early stages of the title sequence, it fits the whole stereotype that black men can only work against the law and not with it. Despite this stereotype being a lot in difference compared to the other stereotype, my title sequence represents black men in the holy way. This is seen and hopefully made clear towards the end of my title sequence. If clear, it should be seen that the black character who was involved with the missing girl from the poster decided to turn himself to 'God' and ask for forgiveness because of what he has committed establishing the holy and religious path that he wants to take.


An additional point to make about representations will be on the church used in my title sequence. Churches these days are stereotyped to look very traditional because of what many films portray to us. It is because of this why many people believe that churches can only be set up in one way. My media product went along with this stereotype despite it not being true as the church used was also a traditional church which is likely to strengthen peoples thoughts on how churches look like inside as well as on the outside.


Lastly, my media product represents males and females stereotypically in that it makes females more vulnerable than males in that it was a female who disappeared and not a male. I proclaim this stereotypical, as it is females who are seen as humans most likely to suffer with abuse because of their biological makeup in comparison to males.


What kind of media institution might distribute your media product and why?


I have done research in to media institutions and have noticed that a lot of institutions stick to a pattern in the type of films and genres that they distribute. A prime example from my research would be Warner Bros who heavily distribute high budget action films such as Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (1991), Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005), and Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (2012). Unfortunately, because of the genre of my film, I feel that Warner Bros would not be the media institution that would distribute my product.


The institution that I believe would distribute my film is Sony because of the films that they have managed to distribute in the past. From research, Sony produces many films that would fit into the genre thriller. An example of a film would be ‘The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo’. Because of the results and make up of the film, I believe that Sony Pictures would distribute in my film also along with the intention of receiving the same results or even better.


Who would be the audience for your media product?


For my media product, I believe that the audience would have to be of a mature age, preferably above the age of 18 years.


I have numerous reasons in why I state this and one of those is around the issues that my media product presents in which would be far too complex for those at a younger age to deal with. However, despite wanting to have my title sequence appeal to those of a mature age, my title sequence would be harmed in no way at all if it was to be certificated as a 15+ just to allow those of a young age who are mature to watch my media product. In addition to this, I have researched what the BBFC film classification is and have evidently found that my media product would be able to hold a 15+ certificate.

Due to this, anyone under the age of 15 would be forbidden to watch my media product in any way. This is not due to the certificate itself, but due to the reason that i believe that the concept of my title sequence would be far too sophisticated and daunting for those of a young age to deal with especially as it could well affect their personal understanding of the world, and the things in the world around them leading to faulty and distorted cognition.


The audience will be 15 years or elder also for the reason that they will be interested and intrigued by the behaviour of individuals who in the worldly sense are often regarded as psychopaths or abnormal humans in society. I’m pretty sure that the majority of adults and young teenagers will also be keen in finding out what goes on in the minds of these sorts of people when they carry out the activities that they do and whether or not they have a heart metaphorically. For the minority on the other hand, I think they will be interested in my media product for pure entertainment.


Lastly, my film covers elements of religion in which I feel certain individuals of the audience will be able to relate with. If they are religious, they should be able to interact with that which is religion based and feel part of the title sequence via value as they should feel that the title sequence accepts that religion is arguably important in the self-development of human beings.


How did you attract/address your audience?


When constructing my media product, I had to figure out what it was that audiences love, in particular those within my target market and those in whom I believe will be the audience of my product.


I was able to find out that the chosen audiences are heavily interested in films that consist of many enigmas in which make them think, and try and anticipate what is to occur next. From this, I managed to incorporate this style in to my product.


In my media product, I correspondingly managed to include elements of religion in which I believed the audience could share a reciprocal view with. Regardless of the depth of religion included, I also believed that the audience would be affected in a way that they feel uncomfortable. This effect would then introduce many unanswered and perhaps rhetorical questions such as ‘Is God real?’. Despite this involving a risk, I felt and believed that the enigmas that were made present outweighed the heavy based religious theme preventing those of the audience to feel that the title sequence is only trying to appeal to those who are religious.


What have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing this product?


From using a range of technologies, I have learnt that media products consist of the help of many technologies which each play a massive role in determining the end result of a specific product, but could also be successful without the use of technology.


My product used the help of technologies such as: a flip camera, final cut pro, and motion. This enabled my product to produce the desired effect that I wanted it to implement towards audiences. From this, I have now learnt that it is technology that help media products and do not make them moreover. Prior to this, I was able to understand fully that it is important that camera shots are accurate as without this, a desired effect will be impossible in being produced as after all everything works alongside another and so everything involved must be correct.


By using final cut pro, I was able to establish that this technology in particular allows single clips to be merged together to create one clip with the use of effects such as fade and dissolve. This type of technology further allowed soundtracks to be merged with visual to create effects such as those that lead up to tension and suspension as witnessed in my product. It is therefore clear that technology is influential in media products serving their purpose if used effectively. This leads me on to the limitations of technology.


Although technology speeds up processes which if done manually would take ten times as long, technology if dependent upon can lead to a detrimental effect especially if they decide to play up or crash at last minute. This occurring within the editing process could cost a finished product distribution and exhibition. This however can be overcome if throughout the editing process, many copies are saved to prevent whole files from experiencing with corruption and contamination.


Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?


I feel that I have learnt what it takes to create a media product that communicates with the intended target audience from when I first made an attempt at my preliminary task.


When I first attempted my preliminary task, I did not ask myself any questions such as what would need to be included in the film footage to create meaning towards the audience. As I was filming, I was only concerned on making the film footage look good and interesting. As time has passed, I have managed to gain a full understanding on the importance of doing research before filming any sort of footage to ensure that any product made meets its aim in creating meaning to the target audience. I have further been able to understand the importance of the likes of storyboards in that they are beneficial as it are these which help guide film shots and save time from being wasted.

Overall, I am happy with my media product as it has turned out the way that I expected it too. In addition, I believe that it exceeds all aims set and shall be light of a new era of films to hit distributors.

No comments:

Post a Comment